North Point Apostolic Church
3544 Verner Road Stow / Kent, Ohio 44240
In Person Services & Live Streaming our Services.... Click on the Banner for more Details!
“We Look back with Gratitude”
“We Press on Embracing the Future”
In July of 1954, Pastor Kenneth L. Tharp began the Apostolic Gospel Church. It all started with a vision and prayer. The first gathering was a tent meeting on the lawn of Mr. and Mrs. Glen Fickey. From that meeting a small congregation started meeting for services at Davey Junior High School in Kent with Bible studies being held in various homes. During May of 1956, they entered into their first building on 1017 North Mantua Street in Kent. In 1961, they built the current building at 3544 Verner Rd. In 1975 they enlarged the sanctuary and remodeled an old machine shop for Sunday School Classrooms, a Youth Center, and a Fellowship Hall. In 1998 they completed a new Sunday School Wing and Fellowship Hall.
Then in 2002 they began the process of passing the baton by asking the congregation if they would be willing for Joe Ellis and his wife to come and assist with services. Then in 2004, 50 years from its inception, they along with the church voted in the Ellis Family as Pastor.
On July 15th Pastor Joe Ellis and Family were installed as Pastor. Pastor Ellis was born in 1975 and his family attended the church in Stow until he was 5 years old. His family then moved to Canton, Ohio to start a church there. His wife Hirma Ellis was born in Colorado, and then moved to Florida, where she lived until she went to Indiana Bible College. It was there that Joe and Hirma met and were soon married. They were Youth Pastor’s in New Philadelphia, Ohio until Pastor Tharp asked him to come speak on a Sunday night. As God confirmed Pastor Ellis was asked to return and assist with the church after 22 years of being away, before being installed as Pastor January 15th, 2004 with his family. In 2006 the church changed its name to North Point Apostolic Church with a vision that would take the church, and the community to the place God wanted them to be. It is the Goal of Pastor Ellis to build upon the foundation that was built 50 years ago.
We’ve come this far by “Faith”!